, On 17 December 1944 Georgic resumed service as a troop transport between Italy, the Middle East and India. John Prescott, a 62 year old liftman, had been on her maiden voyage. For five hours the RECORDER battled to bring her charge head to wind, and in the process the tug ST SAMPSON was damaged. , Although not the largest or fastest Liners of their time, Georgic and Britannic proved popular, and were in the early-1930s the two most profitable ships in White Star Line's fleet, partly due to their lower running costs and more affordable ticket prices compared to the traditional steamships. As Georgic had no power, light or accommodation, she had to be towed as an abandoned hulk; as no tugs were available, two British cargo ships, Clan Campbell and City of Sydney were allocated to the task. She was built for the Liverpool–New York route and ran in tandem with Britannic. The BRITANNIC (left) is lying on Cunard's New York berth. Slightly larger than the BRITANNIC, her original accommodation was for a total of 1,636 passengers: 479 in first class, 557 in tourist class and 600 in third class. An imaginary meeting of the BRITANNIC and the GEORGIC, at Liverpool, painted by Captain Stephen J. Early in 1946 the GEORGIC repatriated 5,000 Italian prisoners-of-war. She was part of a convoy which had to be left almost unprotected due to the hunt for the German battleship Bismarck, but arrived safely on 7 July and the troops on board were disembarked. After several misses, the ship was hit by two bombs; the first one glanced off the side and exploded in the water, causing considerable damage to the ship's hull near the No.4 hold, causing heavy flooding, the second one hit the aft end of the boat deck, penetrated five decks, and exploded in a lift shaft, causing extensive damage to the No.5 hold, this started a fire which ignited fuel oil from ruptured fuel tanks; the fire ignited ammunition stored in the aft holds causing an explosion, which engulfed the entire rear end of the ship in flames. The BRITANNIC was sold quickly for demolition and on 16th December 1960 she left the Mersey for the last time under her own steam for Thomas W. Ward's yard at Inverkeithing, Fife, where she arrived on 19th December. In early 1933, she replaced the aging RMS Olympic on the Southampton–New York route for a brief time while that vessel was overhauled. On 22nd May 1948 the BRITANNIC left Liverpool on her first post-war commercial voyage to New York and she continued on this route for the next twelve years. The head waiter, Charles Leach, had been with Cunard for 42 years and attended to the captain's table for the last time. The BRITANNIC spent much of the winter employed in cruises, from New York to the Mediterranean. Passenger Lists by Ship. In January 1949 the GEORGIC made her first sailing on the Liverpool - Suez - Fremantle - Melbourne - Sydney run with 1,200 'assisted passages'. The GEORGIC was launched at Belfast by Harland & Wolff for the White Star Line on 12th November 1931. Seller: oceanliner (3,934) 100%, Location: Mesa, Arizona, Ships to: Worldwide, Item: 363003141684 GEORGIC White Star Line "Emergency Stations" Deck Plan. Shortly afterwards she foundered and her crew were picked up by the hospital ship DORSETSHIRE, which was passing at the time. , Georgic's interiors were decorated in the then popular Art Deco style, which differed from those of Britannic which were decorated in various period styles which had been popular in the 1920s. In September 1939 the BRITANNIC left the Clyde for Bombay, and returned to the UK with British personnel. Soldiers wave goodbye from a boat control station on board the SS GEORGIC as she leaves Liverpool for the Middle East. 5 hold. At Bombay she was dry docked and the damage to her hull repaired, her machinery was also given a further overhaul. After a successful career as a Liner in the 1930s, Georgic was pressed into service as a troopship in 1940. He said: "She's a wonderful ship - so comfortable and so steady even in the worst seas." The GEORGIC remained at Karachi until 11th December whilst temporary repairs were carried out. In 1943 the BRITANNIC carried American troops to the Sicilian landings, but her principal contribution to the war effort was in transporting over 20,000 US troops across the Atlantic in the build-up to the Normandy Landings. She was designed as a cabin-class ship, but her passengers had surroundings and comfort equal to those provided in any de-luxe liner of the day. beyond them are the piers for the French Line, Greek Line and United States Lines. In November 1932 the GEORGIC's sailing was brought forward by two days in order that she could fit in with the postal arrangements for Christmas mail to the United States. Free exhibitions held in venues, which do not charge an entry fee. On 14th September 1941 it was decided to salvage the vessel and the hulk was raised on 27th October. She was part of the convoy which had to be left almost unprotected during the hunt for the BISMARCK. At the time of her launch in 1931, she was the largest British motorship. whole: glass. The BRITANNIC had completed 275 peacetime and wartime voyages. The RECORDER and her consorts, having covered 2,100 miles with the GEORGIC, had completed one of the most successful salvage operations of the war. The BRITANNIC being assisted by Alexandra tugs from her berth, in Liverpool's Gladstone Dock into the river entrance lock. The southerly course had to be abandoned and the ships hove-to. Following the rebuild, Georgic became a government owned ship, with her ownership transferred to the Ministry of War Transport, Cunard-White Star (later called just Cunard from 1949) managed the ship on their behalf. The BRITANNIC alongside Pier 92,North River, New York. Georgic was now listing to port with extensive flooding. Georgic was chartered for six round transatlantic voyages during 1950, and seven round voyages per season during 1951–54. Georgic differed in appearance from Britannic in that the forward part of her superstructure and bridge was rounded instead of straight, and the front part of her promenade deck was covered.