The 125-foot (38 m)-tall column has a 164-step spiral staircase ascending to an observation deck at the top and was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 1974. Fransen, Joean K. “The Astoria Column: The history of the memorial on Coxcomb Hill.” Cumtux 16.4 (Fall 1996): 11-15. Familiarize yourself with the region, plan your vacation, and learn about the points of interest that can be seen from Coxcomb Hill using our interactive map. At its dedication on July 22, 1926, the Astoria Column was described as the “greatest of western monuments.” Over the years, the Column has become an Oregon icon and a source of identity and pride for Astorians. Come start your journey to the region here, with us. It was reopened to the public in time for the Regatta in August 2009. Architect Litchfield gave $200, and the Great Northern paid the balance and provided project management.  The murals that make up the column were refurbished in 1995 and a granite plaza was added in 2004. Built in 1926, the concrete and steel structure is part of a 30-acre (12 ha) city park. Among the thousands attending the event was Mrs. Richard Aldrich of New York, a descendent of John Jacob Astor. , A plaque near the column commemorates the pioneering Community Antenna Television (CATV) system built by local resident Leroy E. "Ed" Parsons, initially at the Hotel Astoria, in which twin-lead transmission wires redistributed the signal of KRSC-TV (now KING-TV) in Seattle, Washington to area homes. Soc. Get a closer look at the artwork and learn more about the American story. Astoria: Friends of Astoria Column, 2004. The Astoria Column is one of the country’s treasured monuments commemorating America’s settlement of the West. Former Astoria resident Byron Roman was also involved in early cable invention and distribution. It is the crowning monument in a series of historical markers that followed the route of the Great Northern Railroad. Dedicated by the Great Northern Railway in 1926, the Astoria Column stands today as a monument to those people. Built in 1926, the concrete and steel structure is part of a 30-acre (12 ha) city park. As many as 400,000 people visited the Astoria Column in each of the years leading up to the bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark Expedition in 2005-2006, but the Column is far more than a tourist attraction and a scenic vantage point. We are at the end of some trails and the beginning of many others. Built in 1805 near present-day Astoria, Fort Clatsop was the winter quarters for the Corps of Volunteers for Northwest Discovery, more commonly known as the Corps of Discovery or the Lewis and Clark Expedition.  Built at a cost of $27,134 ($391,860 in 2019 dollars), the tower has 164 steps to the top, where there is a replica of the State Seal of Oregon. The Column itself is currently closed, and is not open to climb up at this time, due to COVID-19, and per Oregon law. Eugene, Ore.: Northern Pacific Coast Chapter Society of Architectural Historians, 1978. , The 125-foot-tall (38 m) column stands atop 600-foot (180 m) Coxcomb Hill and includes an interior spiral staircase that leads to an observation deck at the top. The United States successfully negotiated for the land in part by arguing that the U.S. government had made the most thorough exploration and settlement of the region: Captain Gray had explored the area by water; Lewis and Clark had explored it over land; and John Astor had launched commerce at Fort Astoria. Patterned after the Trajan Column in Rome (and Place Vendôme Column in Paris), the Astoria Column was dedicated on July 22, 1926. As a work of art, it is the world’s only large-scale pictorial frieze in sgraffito (skra-fe-to), an Old World art form that involves cutting outlines through a wet plaster layer to reveal a dark base coat. The Friends was led by Jordan D. Schnitzer, a Portland philanthropist and businessman whose grandfather’s scrap business route had included Astoria. Visiting the park or climbing the Column is free. The architect of the Astoria Column, New Yorker Electus D. Litchfield, and its benefactors were intent on capturing the history of the lower Columbia River. Hist. Astoria, Oregon is both a gateway and the hub in a region steeped in history. The Astoria Column is an art-covered pillar made of concrete that reaches 125 feet skyward from Coxcomb Hill, overlooking Astoria and the Columbia River.  Painted by Electus D. Litchfield and Attilio Pusterla, the mural shows 14 significant events in the early history of Oregon, as well as 18 scenes from the history of the region, including Captain Gray's discovery of the Columbia River in 1792 and the Lewis & Clark Expedition. Added bonus is that there is a public restroom as a side note. Sent by President Thomas Jefferson, the Expedition had as its assignment the exploration of the Missouri …, At least ten years before 2004, the 200th anniversary of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark setting out from St. Louis to explore the nation's new Louisiana Purchase, Bicentennial planners were determined that the remembrance would be different from other commemorations. , Media related to Astoria Column at Wikimedia Commons, U.S. National Register of Historic Places, Captain Gray's discovery of the Columbia River, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Astoria_Column&oldid=963591617, Buildings and structures completed in 1926, Buildings and structures in Astoria, Oregon, National Register of Historic Places in Astoria, Oregon, Tourist attractions in Clatsop County, Oregon, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 20 June 2020, at 17:32. The Astoria Column is a tower in the northwest United States, overlooking the mouth of the Columbia River on Coxcomb Hill in Astoria, Oregon. As part of the 2005 Lewis and Clark Bicentennial, the city and the Friends of Astoria Column raised nearly $2 million to improve the grounds around the Column.